As Winnie the Pooh said: ‘Don’t underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can’t hear and not bothering’. Isn’t that what we do on holiday? Well maybe & maybe not! However, we do find that you, our candidates, often decide to move jobs after a break away. And a necessary part of the process to move jobs successfully is preparing for interviews.
At Langley we work with you to prepare for these interviews – how to research the company, department and people, the role and so on.
We find it’s the question ‘Do you have any questions for us?’ that often throws our candidates and that you omit from your interview preparation.
So why is this area so important?
The questions you ask will be a differentiator and an opportunity to show your self-knowledge, character and personality. By asking thoughtful, insightful questions you will stand out from the crowd and end on a powerful note with the interviewers. Also, their answers may help you decide whether this role & company will be a ‘perfect fit’ for you too.
So what will you ask? Here are my top 5:
- Can you tell me something about the team I will be working with? Not only does the way you ask this question imply that you will get the job, but you will get a glimpse of the ‘real culture’ in the business & team.
- How will you help me develop? Just asking this question shows you are interested in self-development. And any support programme (coaching, mentoring or other training) will help you to plan your career path. If they move people around, again that helps you develop your network, new skills, knowledge and behaviours.
- What does success in this role look like? Identifying the exact deliverables and targets will be essential to your understanding the role and objectives – these are often not covered in the job description.
- What skills will be important in this role and why? This allows you to understand where your skills and development areas may be vis-à-vis the role.
- Having interviewed me – what gaps in my skills will I need to fill in this role? Without asking for feedback you will have just asked for it!
Langley Search & Interim supplies a unique blend of interim and permanent recruitment solutions for jobs in procurement and the supply chain across the UK, Europe and internationally. We work with blue chips, privately owned businesses, the public sector and start-ups across the Consumer, Industrial, Public Sector, Technology and Professional Services Sectors. As the leading niche recruitment partner in procurement and supply chain jobs, Langley Search & Interim also provides valued career advice and support to candidates.
For further information on Langley Search & Interim go to www.langleysearch.com or email Christina.Langley@langleysearch.com.